Friday, December 28, 2012

Performance. Training. Solutions…Games we play.

I received a call from this boss of a leather manufacturing business. He asked what the thinking is behind this funny sounding VUCA Design Thinking. So I said it was a way to view the world, and to engage in a methodology and a process to ensure that innovation came home to roost. The guy says innovation is making new things for max profit, right? So I say making new things is okay, but how is profit defined? He says making money, what else!



So I say, profit nowadays is measured by money certainly, but also sustainability, employee performance enhancement, and happiness indices…all the things that create an environment where the employees are happy and interested in making money for the business - an innovation ecosystem, better still a rain forest innovation ecosystem. Plus the product users must also be proud and satisfied with the products and services to the point that they want to tell their friends and the world about it.

That is also profit.

So the boss tells me all that is not important. He says today make black wallet and sell for $10, tomorrow make brown wallet and sell for $20 and then make new colour depending on what the latest colour trend is, and sell for $30. No need to change machinery and train employees, just buy new colour pigment. That is also innovation what? What for Design Thinking and VACU thinking? Waste time, and time is money.

I think to myself, what the hell am I supposed to say to this ape, especially when from his perspective he IS right. It is an innovation to some degree. And he is playing the VUCA game by quickly adapting to latest trends, AND making money at the same time. Luckily I have enough control of my tongue to not call him an ape to his face, though I did say it under my breath.

I asked him why he wanted to talk to me when he seemed to know exactly what to do anyway, and congratulated him on his thinking and management style. He says thanks, but he wants to know what he can do for his employees so they think he is concerned about upgrading their skills, but must be cheap, cheap. I say why don’t you teach them how to make many coloured ladies wallet, and tell his employees they now can make all kinds of leather goods. The boss is thunderstruck and says Wow! You are right. No need new machine. Just change dimension only. He gets very excited and asks me to join him for dinner.

At dinner, the boss orders alcohol worth $2,000 and fine foods worth $3,000. He asks me why I gave him a free solution that will make him millions, and did not ask him for money. So I say I am very stupid with financial matters which is why I cannot afford to drink fine wines and eat fine foods. The boss laughs so hard that his chopsticks roll of the table and he spills at least $200 worth of wine. I collect the dripping wine and save at least $150 worth, and give it to the boss to drink. He looks at me appreciatively and says it is good to not waste money, unless you can afford to waste it. I say sorry, but I cannot afford to waste.

Now he sits back with a cigar and asks me to tell him all about VUCA and Design Thinking. I say he does not need the story and the pitch, he already is a VUCA Design Thinker. He looks at me through the choking and smelly smoke and says he appreciates meeting someone who recognises his true genius. I say he should give his employees the day off, take them to a hotel and train them himself, in how to think like a boss. They will listen to him and his company will become great. I say it will only cost about $100,000 to take all his employees for a holiday and let them see his genius.

He stares at me for a full minute, then says you come to my office and train my employees. My time is worth a lot of money. I give you $100,000 better than I give the hotel people $100,000. But make sure I give all his employees nice certificates and make sure they know what a great boss they have.

Innovative games in a VUCA world indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment